Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cravings and Peas....


With Emma I craved pickles, lots and lots of pickles. I could eat, see, or touch chicken. This time around my cravings have been wide and vary day to day. I have had days of wanting ramen noodles, days where all I could think about was roast beef sandwiches- seriously from the time I got out of bed in the morning till I went to bed that night, and got up the next morning thinking about it still. I've had to get up from dinner and spit out a hamburger, not been able to finish some chinese food, and I'm pretty sure my dislike of Chicken has reappeared.

The strangest craving I have had so far though involved peas. First, I must back up and describe my STRONG, STRONG DISLIKE for peas, under normal circumstances.

Growing up it would take me many, many glasses of milk to gag down a tablespoon of peas. We were required to eat that tablespoon of vegetables if we wanted seconds on anything, or dessert. I COULDN'T stand them. About the only way I've ever been able to eat peas was doused with heavy cream and new potatoes, lets be honest- ANYTHING doused in heavy cream is edible. On a very rare occasion I could even stomach them in soup. One of the elementary school lunches offered at our school was Tuna Pea Wiggle.... YES, it was just as gross as it sounds! It was about the only school lunch I wouldn't eat. One day we forgot to pack me a lunch... well when I realized this very awful crisis, I had to go to the office to call my Mom, and BEG, PLEAD and do everything I could think of to get her to bring me some lunch. She worked full time, and asked me "should I bring you my lunch, and I'll go without?", of course I said yes, because the thought of having to stomach the Tuna Pea wiggle made me ill. She told me I just needed to deal, and next time we'd remember to pack my lunch on Tuna Pea Wiggle Day. Needless to say I think all I had that day for lunch was milk and whatever the dessert was that day.

In college my I discovered my roommate LOVED peas, like, she goes and grabs a handful of frozen peas and eats them like potato chips. She also loves Tuna casserole- but never made me eat either in the 3 years we lived together :)

I met Brian, got to know Brian pretty well, got engaged to Brian, and found out he also didn't like peas, and that his Grandma HATES peas, and she never made her kids eat them! (I knew I loved GGma!!) So it pretty much was accepted that we would be a pea free eating family.

So with all that back story, this story should be a bit more shocking.

One trip to the grocery store recently I had no desire for food. Food shopping when everything looks or smells gross is just not fun. Not that grocery shopping is fun anyway. While in the frozen food aisle, I picked myself out a package or two of spinach, because its not uncommon for me to sit down and eat an entire package in one sitting. I also got some corn as its Emma's and Brian's favorite, and before I knew what was happening I was reaching for a box of frozen baby peas in butter sauce....

I stopped dead in my tracks, examined the box, and said to myself, WOW these looks pretty good, I think I want them. And into the cart they went. Imagine my husband's surprise when I retold this story that night at dinner. Pretty sure his first comment was "You're not making me eat those are you?!"

A few days passed. Then one morning I woke up and all I could think about were those peas. The ones that just happened into my hand, and the grocery cart, the ones that were waiting in the freezer. I couldn't possibly eat them at breakfast. I'd never hear the end of it from Brian (who I might add HATES spinach, and thinks I'm crazy that I eat it like it was candy). It was all I could think about all morning, it was all I could think about getting Emma ready for school. It was all I could think about while I took Emma to school. I got back from dropping Emma off and heated my peas up, put them in a bowl and headed to the couch to enjoy my peas.

I expected to eat maybe a half cup at most and then be done. Well, pea, after pea, after pea later I realized I had eaten the ENTIRE box of peas, and every single one of them had tasted AMAZING!!

Brian was again told me I was crazy when I retold the story to him when he got home. After a kiss he responded "You smell likes peas, yuck!"

I haven't had any peas since, but I wouldn't be surprised if someday in the future I decide I want some more. My roommate from college thought the story was pretty funny, and she said she wouldn't be surprised if this baby ends up being a pea lover! Only time will tell.

Ooh pregnancy you make me weirder than normal!

No comments: