Friday, April 24, 2009

Alayna VS Sprinklers

Ticky-Ticky Sprinkler

I'm tired of the dust pit that is our back yard, so while Brian is TDY, I've made it my mission to get the grass to grow. Here in New Mexico there are only certain days of the week we're allowed to water depending on whether your house number is even or odd, and no one gets to water on Mondays.

I go out Tuesday night to set up the sprinklers, and to totally get the back yard wet, we have to use to sprinklers, one of the ticky-ticky sprinklers (it makes a ticking noise as is goes around), and one on a arm that you would picture your kids playing in. So I get them out, hook them up to the hoses, drag them to where I think Brian puts them, push the ticky-ticky sprinkler into the ground and go to turn the water on. Well wouldn't you know, the ticky-ticky sprinkler is directed right at me and the other one is too close to the house so the water goes up into the air and comes right back down on my head.....

Sprinkler 1, Alayna 0

After much fighting, I got everything where it needed to be, my ego thoroughly bruised, and my clothes and hair completely soaked, and cussing my dearest husband because he's TDY and HE SHOULD be here WATERING!! (PLEASE NOTE: I've NEVER EVER SEEN BRIAN COME IN SOAKED from watering the yard, except once, when we had quite the elaborate system in the front yard)

Thursday it was quite warm here, and as the sun was going down I had opened all the windows to try to cool the house off (I'm refusing to turn the AC on, this VT girl thinks April is a little early to be turning it on). Well, I decide its time to water, and just to be safe I should close the dining room and kitchen windows - its a darn good thing I did!

I go out, think I'm all smart by making sure the range of the ticky-ticky sprinkler is such that it can't get me again. Stick it in the ground, get the other sprinkler far enough away from the house that it won't "rain" on me and go to turn the water on.

STUPID ME, put the ticky-ticky sprinkler in the ground backwards, so it sprayed right at me, right at the kitchen window, and all along the back of the house (across the dining room window). Again, I am cussing my husband out for being TDY, yet this time I'm also laughing hysterically, because only this could happen to ME, and very thankful that I had closed the windows or I would have had more to deal with than wet hair, water spotted glasses and wet clothes!

Sprinklers 2 - Alayna 0

I called Brian to say goodnight, and told him I had a story that would make him laugh. Sure enough he did, and I'm sure it laughed about it a lot afterwards too. We decided I have about another week and half to fight with the sprinklers and maybe by the time we leave to see him, I'll have the stupid sprinklers figured out. One can hope! I'm an engineer, I hope I'll be able to figure it out before then!

I'll update tomorrow evening to let you all know who won!

(After doing a wee bit of research, the ticky-ticky sprinkler is actually a spike sprinkler. I prefer ticky-ticky!)

UPDATE: I successfully watered the lawn Saturday night without incident!

2 comments:

mperry421 said...

i just read a book about arches national park, desert solitare by edward abbey and basically i think its required reading for anyone who calls themself an environmentalist. oh and good job running keep it up! when i got to post i started biking and i lost a bunch of weight from doing it and i feel so much better. my chant that i do when i feel like i cant go any further is bikini bikini bkini... its my goal for july. watch out for those sprinklers! and yes i agree that april is too early for air conditioning. in fact any temperature is too early for air conditioning according to the beninese 120 is no need for air. ha ha. love melissa

Mary said...

You are a crack up!! Love it!!