Anyone who knows me, well at least has exercised with me, knows my strong dislike for running. In High School, I was never going to make it off the JV Soccer team, because I never did the preseason running, why you might ask? I HATED RUNNING!
In college when I joined the crew team one of my questions for the coach was "will I have to run" and she said some but not much, so I joined. Joanna can attest to my hatred of running. I'd whine and complain before running, whine and complain while I ran, and whine and complain for hours/days/maybe even weeks after running. We also had a running joke (haha I just made a pun!) that we were allergic to running. Really I'm just allergic to all the pollen in the air, and by running and inhaling it all I'd end up with a runny nose, and a terrible hacky runners cough for several hours after.
(MORE to the point of this entry): While we were in San Diego, Brian and I watched all these very ambitious people running on the path along the Bay, and one crazy night (what the hell was I thinking!) my husband suggested we start running and "training" for a 5K, he said some nonsense about it being good for us, and helping him with his PFT (physical Fitness test, he has to pass every year), and it would help me loose the rest of my Emma weight (Yes, yes, you heard that right, Emma is 22 months old and I still haven't lost all the weight I gained while I was pregnant... they don't tell you to only gain 25-30 lbs for your health, its because the 25-30lb range is the easy weight to loose!). PLEASE NOTE: My husband despises running almost as much as I do!
Well it must have been the beautiful sunset, or the ocean water smell we were high on, but some crazy woman (that would be me), said to Brian "Honey that sounds like a fantastic idea, when we get home lets research jogging strollers and I can start running with Emma!" CRAZY, CRAZY ALAYNA, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!
Anyway, I did some research on jogging strollers, and how to train/start running if it wasn't part of your normal every day practices (I used to think these people were CRAZY, I'm still not convinced they aren't!) We decided we'd use the rest of my Christmas Bonus money, and ordered a jogging stroller....We'll just say it cost more than the books I buy for my reading pleasure, MANY MANY books.
The jogging stroller came on a Friday. Saturday we woke up to howling wind... OH good I thought we won't have to start today its too windy. OH was I ever wrong. My husband gets up, eats his breakfast, and chipperly (well as chipperly as Brian ever sounds) says to me "Hey honey, want to run to the commissary and back to get some things" "Brian have you heard the wind? We'll blow away" "No we won't. If you don't run in the wind, you won't ever start while we are here in New Mexico"
Off we went... The first half of our run was into the wind.... it really didn't feel like we were getting any where, not that we were when we weren't running into the wind... did I mention, I'm a VERY, VERY, VERY slow runner? But we did it. We got back to the house, and I turned to Brian and said "Honey, I did it! I ran, and I ran on a windy yucky day!" It was satisfying to say that I'd done it!
Its been almost four weeks now, and although I'm still incredibly slow, and can't say that I quite like running, its growing on me. The days I don't run (because I'm using our VERY, VERY expensive bowflex, or letting my muscles rest), I actually miss it. I'm already beginning to feel my body change, and the running is getting easier. I'm by no means ready to go run a race, right now I'm racing myself to improve, and enjoy it. There are still days where the whole time I'm running I chant inside my head "Here comes my skinny body, Here comes my skinny body" (actually that isn't what I really say, but its edited for my family readers out there!)
So the next time you see me, or talk to me, ask me how the running is going. I'm blogging about it, in hopes that now the whole world (or like the three people that read our blog) knows, I won't stop/give up, and that some day I might be one of those CRAZY people that NEED to run or they feel like part of them is missing!

1 comment:
Oh goodness Alayna, running?? I had to laugh at your part about JV soccer, because I remember we did hate running, but one time had to tell Mrs. Richburg that people were cheating on how much they ran since she wasn't out there right after school. Good times! Good luck with your running! I too have come to enjoy it more than I did in high school :)
Post a Comment