Saturday, June 19, 2010

Fathers and Daughters

There is something very wonderful about the relationship between a father and daughter.


Four years ago Thursday I lost my amazing father. My heart still aches to be held by him, see the smile on his face when I know I've done something he's proud of, his voice on the other end of the phone when I call to say hello. But something amazing has happened in those four years. I've gotten to see my best friend- my husband- become a father any girl would dream of having to our beautiful little girl.


Does she ever idolize him! Just this evening we were out and she wanted nothing to do with Mommy, it was all about Daddy. Daddy needed to hold her hand in the parking lot, Daddy was the only one allowed to hold her hand walking through the mall. Daddy was the only one acceptable enough to carry the little girl when her legs were too tired to walk. Daddy is the best to snuggle into when a little girl is tired and but not ready to admit it yet.


I'm so thankful my daughter adores her Daddy as much as I adore mine. Daddys are important people in little girls lives. They are the first man a little girl ever loves. They are the ones who get the phone calls from four hours away that a little (okay maybe not soo little, more like junior in college) girl's car is broken down and won't start. Daddys are the people who seem to be able to make the rules for the daughters and actually have a prayer of getting them to listen. Daddys are the only ones allowed to change their daughters around the house, causing fits of giggles from an almost three year old. Daddys get shrieks of delight when they pull into the driveway.

Fall '85... I think

May 15, 2005

To my Daddy- I love you, and miss you terribly, but I hope I'm making you proud every day.




Aug. 2009- My favorite picture of my two favorite people.



To my Daughter's Daddy- I love you and adore you for making our little girl feel like a princess, being the special person in her life that is the only one who can do certain things just right! Thank you for being such a great Dad to our little girl - seeing you be a Dad makes me fall in love with you all over again... if that's possible.


Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers out there!

No comments: