Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wonder Pets

In the last week with Emma being sick, and with me fighting whatever it is that I'm fighting, we've been watching a bit more TV than normal. More Kid shows.... I've decided that I can NOT stand Wonder Pets. There is soo much about it I dislike, unfortunately the music seems to have tricked Emma into liking it and she throws a fit when I change the channel (something I'm not really feeling up for dealing with this week).

Reasons why I don't like the show:
~It is the same show OVER and OVER and OVER again. A small animal/creature is in trouble and these preschool pets come to their rescue.
~They sing the same songs EVERY single episode, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, making them remain in my head for hours and hours after Emma is done watching the show.
~ The Characters talk in "baby talk" which I absolutely CAN NOT deal with. In Emma's 2+ years of life, I have tried my VERY hardest not to speak to her in "baby talk". I find it quite annoying, and strongly feel it has no benefits for the child you're speaking to. It actually makes me quite irritated when people (STILL) talk to Emma in "baby talk".
~ Did I mention its the same stickin' story line every time?
~Each show lasts one-half-hour, but in that one-half-hour TWO episodes play. That means twice the annoyances of all of the above.
~ The only thing I've really figured out that it tries to teach children is to help animals in need. That's great, but no one needs to listen to the same story line over and over again. There is some attempt to increase vocabulary, but because I don't speak to my daughter in "baby talk" this isn't really an issue because most of the words are already words we've used when speaking to her.
~Did I mention the music? That it gets stuck in my head "wonder pets, wonder pets, we're on our way...."

I think music and the duck character are really the only reasons Emma likes the show. Her obsession for the last several weeks has been anything related to Ducks. She now knows where to look for the ducks when we go to the grocery store now and points and shouts "UCK, UCK, UCK". "Yes sweety I know the ducks are there, remember, I'm the one who showed them to you!"

(This show ranks in annoyances with Barney and Friends, which as my Mom found out while we are moving is a show Emma has not, and will NEVER be allowed to watch, because it annoys the heck out of both Brian and I!)

No comments: