
(Don't we look so young?!)
I met Joanna freshman year of college. My cousin Jason and Ross actually introduced Joanna to me. I think from the moment I met Joanna I knew we would be friends, but I don't think I realized at the time just how special a friendship we would have. This was back in the day before Crew, our Brian's, and the real world. Joanna has always been one of those people who likes everyone (at least until you give her a VERY good reason not to!), and was very welcoming of me in my year of not really finding a place at Clarkson yet, and still being "stuck" in Vermont. We had a lot of fun freshman year, and mostly stayed out of trouble (minus an incident while we were SUPPOSE TO be studying for our Chem final!)
The end of our Freshman year, we decided we'd live with one another Sophomore year and be roommates, and I don't regret our decision at all! Some how, we let some friends convince us that joining Clarkson Crew was a good idea..... I remember many nights, whining to Joanna and with Joanna, about how much I hurt, about the blisters on my hands, and even standing on the heater in our dorm entry way after a particularly wet and cold practice.
Joanna's Birthday - the 45th Parallel
We also had a life outside of crew - though if you ask my husband, even when we weren't doing crew stuff, we were still talking about crew most of the time!! We had many an adventure - like going to the 45th parallel for Joanna's Birthday, craziness in our room (hence the face wash picture!), and many boy troubles.
One of our silly moments - Face Wash
Junior year brought more fun, and certainly more craziness! I remember one particular night (after someone who shall remain nameless;) ) decided he wanted to "just be friends", so Joanna decided she was going to help me to have some fun, and we turned the radio on, got up on our table and started dancing! Looking back I can't believe we EVER danced to Nelly! Easter weekend that year we decided to rearrange our room.... Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not the neatest person in the whole world, and anyone who knows Joanna knows that she can be neat, but doesn't always choose to be! So you can imagine the mess that was our room in the process of rearranging! But, no matter where we were, or what we were doing, we always tried to have fun - even if we were whining!

Senior year was a wonderful year for both of us! We'd both gone back to school a week early for crew, and every day while we were at practice, flowers would magically appear on my desk. Joanna went to Pennsylvania that next weekend for a wedding, and when she came back that Sunday, I told her I had some news. (Joanna doesn't really like surprises! SO we went upstairs to our room). I told Joanna that Brian had asked me to marry him, and she was shocked (because we were only "friends"), and I told her I said yes. She was shocked, but so happy for me. The rest of senior year she was always there to listen when I needed to vent about wedding stuff, and even took me to Montreal with a bunch of friends to celebrate. Senior year was also the year that Joanna started being more than friends with her Brian. I think, if I had thought about it, that I knew someday they'd get married. Brian was so good for Joanna, he allowed her to be herself, but also made her push herself out of her normal "box". I remember there was a day the three of us along with another friend all went cross country skiing. It was so much fun.

The night before my wedding, Joanna and I had a slumber party in my bed. She said to me "Alayna, if you're awake, wake me up and I'll keep you company". Well of course I was awake, I was too excited to sleep, Joanna on the other hand slept peacefully (as she did the night before her wedding!). We always had our before bed talks, and we'd talk, and talk, and talk some more, until eventually one of us would fall asleep, it didn't matter how late it was, or how early we had to get up the next morning, and the night before my wedding was no different. I definitely miss our before sleep talks!
Joanna caught the bouquet, and she was next!
I was so grateful, Joanna was willing to stand by my side on my wedding day, and I was honored the day she asked me to be part of her wedding, and stand by her side. All through her wedding day, I could tell just how in love the two of them are. Their wedding was everything Joanna and Brian, from the small church, surrounded by lots of family, and friends, to the weekend camp out at the camp, with swimming and kickball between the ceremony and the rehearsal. My Brian and I had a wonderful time celebrating with the two of you, we hope you had at least as much fun!
Wankewycz-Wallace Rehearsal Dinner
Joanna, thank you so much for your wonderful friendship. I can't wait for our conversations every week, as we chat about our lives through the craziness that is my life (chasing a baby, and two dogs is hard work! and yet Joanna never minds.) I wish you and Brian many years of happiness! And when the time comes, feel free to call me at 2:30 in the morning to tell me your first little one has arrived (although, for your sake I wish it not to be that time!) Thank you for always being you, and always willing to listen. I only hope I'm as good at being your friend, as you are to me. I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment