Friday, February 15, 2008

Dogs and Emma

So its been amusing two days for people who've seen me out. Yesterday I had to take Jake to the vet for his shots, and with Brian being TDY and our neighbor having been sick, I had to take Jake and Emma to the vet by myself. I wasnt too afraid, especially because I had made the smart decision to leave Gus home. So I walked (okay let me change that to PULLED) into the Vet, carrying the carseat with Emma in it (mostly because its the easiest way these days to keep her contained) and being pulled by Jake because I didnt want to take him to the vet with our really mean looking pitch coller, next time I just will because he behaves soo much better on his leash! I set Emma down on the floor, and try to communicate with the crazy asian receptionist that speaks super fast with a very thick accent so you cant understand a word she says. After we had been there about five minutes, checking Jake in, and registering Gus (FINIALLY) with the base, she says to me "You shouldnt have come by yourself ma'ma" I wanted to hit her... mostly because I had everything completely under control, and who was she to tell me that I needed help?! She also says "Here let me take the baby back here, I dont want the dogs to get her" (Please note at this point we were the only ones in the office and Jake and Emma have an understanding about one another) So mostly to get her off my back I was like okay (should have known this wasnt going to work because Emma likes to be out in the middle of everything!)

Finially the tech calls us into the exam room, and I drag Jake by the scruff of the neck... once again I should have put the pinch coller on and he would have just gone right in. The tech closes the door behind so Jake wont escape. (Ever since the problems with his ears last year, and the incident this summer with the crazy vet down town who muzzled him, he DOES NOT like going to the vet!) I get Jake settled, and sitting all pretty, and I hear Emma fussing. NOTE TO SELF: DONT SEPARATE KIDS (dog and human included) WHEN IN A STRESSFUL SITUATION!! SO I go get Emma and bring her in. Immediately both of my kids relax - Jake has his people together again, so he only had to stress about the vet piece, and Emma had things to amuse her again other than the crazy asian lady!)

So after explaining to the tech about Jake's puking every where since christmas, while she drew blood for a test, and gave him his shots, with my holding him like a big baby, she says "Okay Im going to go talk to the vet". So out she goes to talk to the vet.... I can hear the whole conversation through the walls, and the vet tells her "well it just sounds like they're letting him drink too much water" and as the conversation continues I can feel the steam coming out of my ears, and try to calm myself while also trying to keep Jake calm and Emma occupied.

Finially after being there for almost an 1 and half with my scared dog and fussy (she was ready for lunch and HOUR AGO) child, we decide to put Jake on some medicine for his stomach and see if it helps after a week. SO I go back out to the receptionist to make an appointment for next week for Gus to get his shots, get Jake's heartworm medicine, and pay for the rediculous visit... now there is an audiance... crazy woman holding fussy baby, while restraining 70lb beast of a dog, figure out why we have two bottles of medicine, and pay the receptionist. Apparently at this point the receptionist hasn't helped add to the crazieness enough, so she takes it upon herself to pick Emma up in the carseat and lug her out to the truck for me.... as shes waiting for me to put Jake in the truck she says to Emma "Tell you Mommy to hurry I have to get back to work today!" AT THIS POINT I ALMOST LOST IT! Note the following thoughts, are just that, thoughts, I managed to bite my tounge, and they are cleaned up a bit "HEY LADY WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!? Nobody asked you to take my daughter behind your desk, nobody asked you to lug my daughter out to the car for me! Yes it may look like I dont have things under control but in all actuality I've got things completely under control!"

Today's adventure: Brian came home last night, and this morning we figured since Gus has been sleeping on Jake's bed at night, it might be time to buy another dog bed. Well the pet store in town allows pets inside, and because we're trying to get Gus more used to the car we figured this would be a good adventure to take the whole family on.

We all pile into the truck, the dogs in the back next to Emma and Brian and I in front. We stop at the gas station to get gas. Gus decided it would be a good idea to get untop of Emma in the car seat... she didnt really mind till I told him to get out and he scratched her hand.

We get down town, with only Jake whining in the backseat... who would have guessed the good dog would decide to be the bad dog! Brian went to open the truck door to get Emma out and Jake tried to climb over her to get out. Finially we got everyone in their respective restraints and head into the store... Jake and Gus pulling me the entire way (solidifying the need for a choke chain for Gus, and once again the need for Jake to have his pinch coller on - you'd think I'd learned yesterday!) After the whirlwind in the store and only a few minor crazy moments and a few stares from the workers in the store we succeeded in our mission. However Im not sure Im up for going to the pet store as a family outing any time soon! Especially without Brian!

Note: I dont know HOW Mary does it with her three kids! Mary you're super Mom! Especially after having read your story about your trip to Phoenix! If I'd have seen you I definetely would have stopped to help, because I have a new appreciation for "having your hands full"

Its a good thing I love my kids (both dogs and human!)

No comments: